Millions of Americans suffer from an emotional disability, and if you're one of those afflicted, you may qualify for a California Emotional Support Animal (California ESA).
Get a California Emotional Support Animal.
Typically cats and dogs, through their companion and affection, a California ESA helps to lessen the symptoms of a mental disability. Governed by various Federal laws, FHA and ACAA, a California Emotional Support Animal requires no formal training (unlike a service dog).
Qualifying for a California Emotional Support Animal.
To qualify for a California Emotional Support Animal, the protocol is straightforward. A California-licensed mental health professional certified your mental disability and issues a California Emotional Support Animal letter of recommendation. This is the documentation that you present to your property owner or airline gate agent, verifying your ESA status.
Experience the ESADoggy difference.
There are plenty of other Internet-based ESA letter services, some legit, most not.
In general, we’ve found online companies offering instant approval, lifetime letters, or animal registrations to be a scam, as their letters are not legally binding. Even worse, they may very well be breaking the law.
To wit, meet Harry, our “registered” Emotional Support Sasquatch; yet another bogus product to add to our bad letter library.
Connecting people to empower health.
At ESADoggy, we do it the right way. We have rock solid ethics, full HIPAA compliance, guaranteed protection for your financial transaction, and a network of licensed local mental health counselors. Our team has helped thousands of individuals and families achieve their goals.
Let us help you.
Emotional Support Animal Letters.
Emotional Support Animal letters of recommendation (“ESA letters”) level the playing field, protecting individuals from “no-pets allowed” policies, and will widen options for air travel.
- Issued by a licensed mental health care therapist located in your city or state
- Contains every written element and requirement demanded under federal law
- Master-crafted by fair housing and air travel experts
- Our ESA travel letter have never been rejected by any airline
- Regularly updated and fully comply will all recent changes to federal law and guidelines
Get Qualified Now For Your California Emotional Support Animal!
To qualify for a California Emotional Support Animal with ESADoggy, you must:
- Shop ESAD Emotional Support Animal Letter Consultations.
- Complete our online mental health evaluation.
- Lastly, when appropriate, we will conduct a telephonic mental health assessment with a state-licensed mental health counselor. During the call, they will determine your qualification for a California Emotional Support Animal.
Included with Your Purchase
By Federal law, your California Emotional Support Animal letter is good for one year.
All purchases include complimentary year long email and telephone support for non-therapy related issues. About a month before your letter expires, we’ll re-certify and renew your status. You will never be out of compliance.
Components of your California ESA letter
Per Federal guidelines (FHA and ACAA), your California ESA letter of recommendation (written within the last year on the doctor's letterhead) will contain important information:
- You're a current patient of the mental health provider who's writing the ESA letter
- You're under their care and treatment of an emotional disability that's outlined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual Version IV or V
- Your emotional disability restricts you from daily completing and participating at least one significant activity
- The recommendation of an California Emotional Support Animal is an important part of your mental health treatment
Here's a short list of various mental disorders that qualify for an California ESA letter.
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Cognitive disorders
- Gender identity crisis
- Learning disorders
- Sexual disorder
Why is a California Emotional Support Animal letter necessary?
The letter especially comes in handy when:
Renting a home – The Federal Fair Housing Amendments Act (FHAct) provides emotionally disabled individuals with the right to live with their ESA even in no-pets-allowed housing. Property owners are legally required to accept your emotional support animal. We note letter holders are accountable to keep their ESA documentation up to date (expires annually).
During air travel - The Federal Air Carrier Access Act allowed ESA travelers to bring the animal into the main cabin. There are important compliance rules that must be followed, otherwise, the airline is not required to make reasonable accommodations.
Federal Law regarding California Emotional Support Animals
Federal Law allows a licensed mental health provider to recommend qualified individuals an emotional support animal. Traditionally, this is an untrained dog or cat that helps treat its owner for symptoms such as anxiety, panic attacks, depression, insomnia, and PTSD.
The statutes recognize three broad categories of disabilities: (1) a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities (such as walking, working, washing, learning, dressing, etc.); (2) a record of impairment; or (3) being regarded as having such an impairment.
HUD and Housing Providers for your California Emotional Support Animal
HUD and housing providers take the following into consideration:
(1) Does the person seeking to use and live with the animal have a disability — i.e., a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities?
(2) Does the person making the request have a disability-related need for an assistance animal? In other words, does the animal work, provide assistance, perform tasks or services for the benefit of a person with a disability, or provide emotional support that alleviates one or more of the identified symptoms or effects of a person’s existing disability?
California Emotional Support Dog
From HUD's guidelines, "such documentation is sufficient if it establishes that an individual has a disability and that the animal in question will provide some type of disability-related assistance or emotional support."
Continuing, "a housing provider may not ask a tenant or applicant to provide documentation showing the disability or disability-related need for an assistance animal if the disability or disability-related need is readily apparent or already known to the provider."
What exactly is a reasonable accommodation?
FHA discrimination includes "a refusal to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices, or services, when such accommodations may be necessary to afford [a person with a disability] an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling."
So, if your requested accommodation doesn't unduly burden (financially or administratively) your landlord, nor can it fundamentally alter the housing complex, the owner must provide housing.
HUD and several courts have explicitly stated that an exception to a "no pets" policy would qualify as a reasonable accommodation.
A landlord can ask for supporting documentation defining the need for an emotional support animal, but a tenant is not required to provide proof of training or certification of the animal.
Looking for an ESA letter this week?
2. Complete an online mental health exam (30-45 minutes).
3. With a licensed therapist from your city/region/state, you'll discuss your disability and disability-related need for an emotional support animal.
For those who qualify, a letter of recommendation will be securely delivered electronically and via postal mail.
How long does it take?
Orders are typically fulfilled within four to five business days. Expedited service is available (additional fees will apply).