You and I both know the emotional support offered by an animal companion is no great secret. These days more and more doctors are also acknowledging the therapeutic benefit that pets can play in treating psychological and emotional problems with their patients.
In order to qualify for a Canadian emotional support animal travel letter of recommendation, you must be certified as emotionally disabled by a licensed and certified mental health professional such as a psychiatrist or therapist.
That’s where we can help you!
Emotional Support Dog or Cat for Travel to/From Canada
You can request an emotional support animal letter in-person with your therapist or online using an ESA service.
It’s important to remember not all medical professionals are legally qualified to write an ESA letter. Only certified mental health professionals are able to write an emotional support animal letter. If you request one using an online service, make sure that it follows all ESA regulations.
Traveling with your emotional support animal without any additional fee or costs is allowed by Canadian airlines (for travel to/from the US) if you have an emotional support animal letter.
Traveling From Canada With an Emotional Support Animal
Our Canadian emotional support animal travel letter of recommendation is valid only for US-inbound or US-outbound flights. All Canadian emotional support animal travel letters are issued by an authorized Canadian-licensed mental health professional.
ESA Travel Assessment
Via a telephone or video call, a member of the ESAD’s Canadian Therapeutic Team will perform a mental health assessment.
- Conveniently scheduled, the assessment is typically completed within an hour.
- At the assessment’s completion, you’ll be informed of the therapist’s decision to recommend an emotional support animal for your treatment.
- Letters are good for one year and are securely delivered electronically and via postal mail.
- Only one ESA dog or cat allowed.
ESA Letters for Canadian Residents
- Live therapeutic assessment via telephone or video call
- Letter is issued by a licensed mental health care therapist on their letterhead
- Contains every written element and requirement demanded under US and Canadian law
- Issued by a Canadian-licensed mental health care therapist who will practice and reside within your province
- Our letter has never been rejected by any airline
- Regularly updated
- Fully complies will all recent changes to US and Canadian law and guidelines
Emotional support animals don’t need special training like service animals, but they are still more than just pets. Your emotional support animal is there to bring you the comfort and confidence to help you live a full, rewarding life.
Our goal is a better life for everyone affected by mental illness. We help achieve that goal by overseeing an extensive premier multidisciplinary network of licensed mental health professionals that spans two countries and all 50 states.
If you’re looking to travel to/from the US, and your pet is necesssary for your travel, the ESAD’s Canadian Therapeutic Team can help!
Looking for an ESA letter this week?
2. Complete an online mental health exam (30-45 minutes).
3. With a Canadian-licensed therapist, you'll discuss your disability and disability-related need for an emotional support animal.
For those who qualify, a letter of recommendation will be securely delivered electronically and via postal mail.
How long does it take?
Orders are typically fulfilled within five business days. Expedited service is available (additional fees will apply).