The various federal (and now state) laws governing emotional support animals are rapidly changing. In many states, the crackdown on fraudulent documents has resulted in much tougher regulations that are designed to weed out ESA fraudsters who take advantage of “the system.”
With our guaranteed ESA letter*, you can easily ensure you’ve got legitimate documentation that provides:
- Recognition that you are a patient under a licensed mental health professional’s care for mental or emotional disabilities.
- Verification that you are significantly limited by an individual disability.
- Recommendation for an emotional support dog as a necessary reinforcement for your mental health.
Your disability must be ongoing and have a significant impact on at least one major life activity (for example, sleep, concentration, social interaction, and focus). The assistance animal must help ameliorate the disability.
Traveling with an emotional support animal
Make sure your ESA letter from a mental health professional provides:
- Recognition that you are a patient on a case-by-case basis under a licensed mental health professional’s care for mental or emotional disabilities.
- Verification that you are significantly limited by an individual disability, such as depression or a similar condition, affecting your mental well-being.
- Prescription for an emotional support dog or another support animal, as a necessary reinforcement for your mental health.
Before arriving at the airport:
- Make sure to give the airline at least 48 hours’ notice
- Provide all the required forms – more airlines are requiring more forms for you to fill out.
4 facts before receiving your ESA letter
- The ESA letter applies to the person, not the animal.
- There’s no such thing as an ESA certification or registration – websites offering this are usually a scam. A “certification” won’t hold up in court.
- ESAs cannot be taken into public areas. That means you can’t take your ESA to the park, restaurants, your workplace, on public transport. or to the library, unless the establishment is pet-friendly.
- You don’t need to (and can’t) buy a special ESA pet. Any pet, existing or not, that will provide you with emotional support is an ESA.