Looking to curb online fraud, much tougher regulations governing emotional support animal letters are being enacted:
- Letters for a fee: May not be prepared by a practitioner whose sole service is preparation of the written documentation for a fee.
- Must be reliable: Based on direct knowledge of the person’s disability and disability-related need for the assistance animal.
Moving forward, consumers/clients cannot:
- False statements: Misrepresent their disability or disability-related need for an assistance animal.
- Malingering: Make a materially false statement for the purpose of obtaining documentation.
- Bogus accessories: Fit an animal that is not an emotional support animal with an item that would cause a reasonable person to believe that the animal is an emotional support animal.
Permanent or temporary disability status
Landlords often request our clinicians document a tenant’s disability status (permanent or temporary). This clinical determination requires several (minimum of three) therapeutic sessions.
Punishment and fines
The punishments can be severe:
- Up to a $10,000 fine.
- 60 days in jail.
- 100 hours of community service.
Fully-compliant ESA documents
To ensure compliance, we’ve added one therapy session before issuing any documents and one/two sessions after. Click below to shop for state-compliant emotional support animal letters.