According to the airlines (and Federal Law), Spirit Airlines welcomes emotional support animals on their flights, but you will need to meet the following guidelines.
Emotional Support Animals on Spirit Airlines
Spirit Airlines will allow emotional support animals as long as passengers have current documentation (no older than one year preceding the date of your initial scheduled flight) which must meet the following criteria: The documentation is on a licensed mental health professional letterhead from your treatinglicensed mental health professional or physician stating the following:
- The passenger has a mental health related disability recognized in the DSM-IV
- The emotional support animal is needed as an accommodation for air travel and activity at your destination
- The mental health professional’s licensure information
Internationally traveling passengers are required to comply with any applicable foreign regulations.
- Passengers need to check in at least 90 minutes prior to check-in time
- Contact the airline at least 48 hours before your scheduled departure.
During the flight
- The animal must remain with you at all times.
- The animal is seated on the floor at your feet and cannot block an aisle or another area that must remain clear for emergency evacuation.
- You may choose to sit anywhere you wish with the exception of emergency exit rows.
- Animals with pet carriers may not sit in the first or second row.
- If your emotional support must sit in your lap, you may not occupy any seat equipped with an inflatable seat belt.
- Emotional support animals can be placed on the aircraft floor or on the customer’s lap. No animals or any part of the animals can be placed on an aircraft seat at any time.
- If traveling with more than one emotional support animal, your required letter must list each emotional support/psychiatric service animal.