Have a Question?

Can a property require medical documentation, or require a letter from a “doctor only” to prove my disability?

You are here:
< All Topics

A property cannot require detailed medical information, nor can a property require the documentation come only from a doctor or physician. According to HUD, If the disability is “not readily apparent” or known by the housing provider, like PTSD, Autism, or TBI, the housing provider may ask for “reliable documentation” to verify the disability. According to HUD, a reliable source could be “a doctor or other medical professional, a peer support group, a non-medical service agency, or a reliable third party who is in a position to know about the individual’s disability.” So, a property cannot require the reliable source be a doctor, however, a doctor could be a reliable source.

Previous Can a housing provider deny my assistance animal because their insurance policy prohibits my dog’s breed? Can I be required to pay for additional coverage for my assistance animal?
Next Can management require a resident to recertify an assistance animal at lease renewal time?
Table of Contents

Free Leash With Your Order.

Comes with one “Emotional Support” leash and ID Card ($39.95 value) that easily attaches to the D-ring on your dog's harness. Made from material that’s both durable and comfortable.

Save Now!