Psychiatric Service Dog (Travel) Letter
Travel Pro 2021
Recent changes to air travel now allows for Psychiatric Service Dogs (PSD), which are canines specifically trained to support individuals diagnosed with a mental illness. PSDs perform certain “tasks on queue” for individuals that may have non-visible disabilities (anxiety, panic, post-traumatic stress, depression). Just like other service dogs, PSDs have public access rights and certain housing and travel rights. Additionally, PSDs are trained to behave well in a public setting.
Before departure, PSD handlers are required to submit a certification form asserting the animal has been trained to assist with a disability and is capable of good behavior. Airlines cannot impose PSD travel fees.
Letters are issued on the clinician’s letterhead and include licensing details and information for further correspondence if required. Your clinician will be based, licensed, and practicing in your state.
- Comprehensive intake exam.
- You'll receive the original hard copy of the letter and a PDF version that can be safely downloaded.
- We do not provide/ship hard copies or ID cards to Canadian and international customers.
- Industry experts familiar with the laws and rules regulating psychiatric service dogs.
Psychiatric Service Dog Travel Letters
There is no guarantee of receiving a psychiatric service dog travel letter.
- Issued and signed by a licensed mental health care professional who lives and practices in your state or region.
- Good for one year.
- Delivered via secured download (PDF), hard copy option available (additional fee would apply).
- Written on the provider's business letterhead.
Documents issued by our providers will indicate:
- Your condition (though not specifically disclosed) is recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).
- You require the animal for either the flight itself or at your final destination.
- You are under the current professional care of a licensed mental health professional.