Legal problems can sometimes bubble up when dealing with the nuanced differences between service and a California Emotional Support Animal.
Service animals, which are traditionally dogs and horses, are highly trained to perform a particular skill, for example detecting a seizure, pulling a wheelchair, and guidance for the visually challenged.
How To Get A California Emotional Support Animal
Comparatively, California Emotional Support Animals require no specialized training. Specialized documentation proving the disability and the need for the California Emotional Support Dog may be required in some instances.
That documentation is known as a California Emotional Support Animal (ESA) Letter of Recommendation.
California Housing Law Emotional Support Animal
Who can legally obtain an ESA letter? Well, not everyone is allowed to turn the family pet into a legal assistance animal. There are a few caveats for certifying a California Emotional Support Dog or Cat.
- ESAs are reserved for people who suffer from symptoms of emotional, psychological, or mental disorders.
- Those individuals have been assessed by a licensed medical professional or therapist.
For those qualifying, the licensed mental health professional will issue a California Emotional Support Animal (ESA) Letter of Recommendation.
Connecting people to empower health.
All across North America, ESADoggy’s team of licensed local mental health counselors provide emotional support animal letters and pet bereavement therapy thru online and in-person sessions.
Our team has helped thousands of individuals and families achieve their goals. Let us help you.
All-inclusive packages can save you up to 25%.
We've bundled together our most popular products, thrown in some deep discounts, and removed any uncertainty wondering if you "bought the right package."
The ESADoggy college package contains everything you’ll need for heading off to college in the fall! If you're moving into a new place, then check out our landlord package. And finally, for those traveling this year, our travel package might just be the ticket.
Enjoy peace of mind and savings delivered right to your door.
Emotional Support Animal Letters.
Emotional Support Animal letters of recommendation (“ESA letters”) level the playing field, protecting individuals from “no-pets allowed” policies, and will widen options for air travel.
- Issued by a licensed mental health care therapist located in your city or state
- Contains every written element and requirement demanded under federal law
- Master-crafted by fair housing and air travel experts
- Our ESA travel letter have never been rejected by any airline
- Regularly updated and fully comply will all recent changes to federal law and guidelines
A few of the emotional disabilities that qualify an individual for an California ESA include:
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Social Phobia
California Landlord Tenant Emotional Support Animals
In a nutshell, here’s the qualifying formula provided through Federal guidelines.
- An individual suffers from an emotional or mental disability that’s outlined in the DSM-5 handbook.
- This disability(s) is a “physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of such individual.”
- Major life activities include, but are not limited to: “…caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, and working.”
- And finally, through its companionship and comfort, an animal (such as the family pet) helps mitigate the symptoms that arise from the previously mentioned issues.
In the end, anyone who believes their California Emotional Support Animal provides a source of comfort, well-being, and helps to mitigate anxiety, depression, and sleep issues (and other emotional disabilities) can qualify.
Let’s talk through an example we encounter … sadly … all too often.
Back from an overseas tour, you’re a wounded warrior suffering from significant PTSD that dramatically impacts your ability to sleep, concentrate, focus, and interact socially. Luckily, your little kitty helps you cope somewhat with these life-changing problems.
Given this scenario, Federal Law allows for a licensed mental health care professionals to issue a California ESA recommendation letter, allowing the vet and kitty access to no-pets-allowed housing (along with the waving of pet deposits) and air-travel.
Your most trusted source for emotional support animal letters.
We build relationships.
Let’s talk networks. Put your cell phone down, we’re not talking those kinds of networks. We’re talking about ESA licensed therapist networks. It's is a bit like that coverage map, only instead of better download speeds or less chance of dropped calls, coverage refers to which trusted therapists you can connect with to get the most out of your ESA letter.
What’s the California ESA Emotional Support Animal Registration Process?
Without ever leaving the comfort of your home or office, the protocol to qualify your pet as a California Emotional Support Animal consists of three steps:
- Purchase the ESA letter that meets your needs. You are not billed until issued an Emotional Support Animal letter.
- After purchasing your letter, you will quickly, safely, and securely complete our online mental health evaluation.
- Finally, you’ll speak with a licensed mental health professional qualified to assess your needs for a California Emotional Support Animal.
Emotional Support Animal California Travel Laws
In the air, the strict rules of the Federal Air Carrier Access Act govern emotional support animals.
Folks flying with a support animal must have written documentation from a licensed mental health professional declaring the traveler’s disability and the need for the animal. This letter must be issued within the past year, on the professional’s letterhead, and indicate the type of provided health care. Typically, airlines require at least 48 hours notice you’re traveling in the company of a support animal.
Exceptions to Emotional Support Animal California Law
Emotional support animals are not granted unlimited legal protection. In California, only service animals, and not support animals, are offered unfettered access to a public place.
Landlords also have the very limited ability to deny support animals, if the animal poses a threat to the safety or health others or would cause substantial property damage.
This exception is not based on breed or size; the threat to property or safety must be specific to the animal in question.
Looking for an ESA letter this week?
2. Complete an online mental health exam (30-45 minutes).
3. With a licensed therapist from your city/region/state, you'll discuss your disability and disability-related need for an emotional support animal.
For those who qualify, a letter of recommendation will be securely delivered electronically and via postal mail.
How long does it take?
Orders are typically fulfilled within four to five business days. Expedited service is available (additional fees will apply).